Introducing the new Mistral II tension brake from Wichita Clutch… designed with the future in mind
Building on the success of its original Mistral brake design, Wichita Clutch has recently launched the Mistral II, the new generation of the popular pneumatically operated tension brake.
This new compact brake is dimensionally smaller than the original model, and its updated design responds to customers’ requests for a more advanced tension brake, without compromising the industry-leading performance of the legacy model.
Aluminum is used extensively in this latest design, which exhibits an open, vented design retaining the integral fan option of the earlier model to ensure effective cooling. These innovations, in both design and materials, result in a 23% weight savings which leads to safer handling, easier installation, and a reduction in shipping costs.
As one of the world's foremost innovators of pneumatically operated tension brakes, Wichita has reacted to the changing needs of Today’s foil, film and paper converting industry. The highly experienced Wichita engineering team has applied its expertise to meet the demands for increased productivity through controlled tension at higher web speeds up to 2,860 RPM.
Twelve Mistral II models, in two sizes, are offered. Each model utilizes various number of pneumatic actuators, allowing a precise selection of brake torque capacity, for an optimum tension control.
While matching all the technical characteristics of its predecessor, including dynamic slipping torque capacity of 35 to 15,930 in.Lbs. (4 to 1,800 Nm) and heat transfer capacity up to 6.4 HP (4.8 kW), the Mistral II is not only efficient in performance, it is possibly the most cost-effective pneumatic tension brake in its range of market.
Mistral II is compact with 295 mm diameter only, facilitating the pick-up of small or part-reels used in short batch runs. The new, vented housing is semi-gloss black powder coated for durability and aesthetics. Internally, an integrated high-performance, low energy cooling fan enables high heat dissipation to support increased productivity.
- Compact size – 295 mm diameter
- Integral cooling fan to maximise heat dissipation – up to 2.8 kW permissible
- Multiple actuator options to optimise torque capacity – up to 648 Nm at 6 bar
- Shaft diameters up to 60 mm may be accommodated
- Simple three bolt mounting, with pilot location, for ease of installation
- Integrated safety guard
- Linear torque response to supply pressure
- Easy access for maintenance - only 5 minutes are needed to remove cover and replace part
- Weight reduced by 23% for similar or improved capabilities and performance
- Splined hub design prevents the need to adjust the brake disc to the center position and allows easy machine assembly and maintenance
- With three prominently positioned visual wear indicators, there is no need to lose valuable production time to stop the machine to check the brake for wear
- Two air inlet design, easy for multi-range precise torque control by different actuators